Friday, January 8, 2010

First Haircut

It took me awhile to finally admit Henry needed his haircut. The final straw was when his once cute baby curls started to resemble a not so cute mullet. I had such a great idea to spend a little extra money and take Henry to a hair salon for children. I imagined him walking in and looking around this very kid friendly establishment with amazement and excitement for his first haircut. While we were waiting for our turn, Henry happily walked around looking at toys, other children, and anything he could get his hands on. My plan was working perfectly. Well, up until the moment he sat in the chair. In that instant, the tears and screaming began. It was incredibly sad for us to see him sitting there so uncomfortable while a stranger cut his hair. Todd and I were doing everything from reading books, blowing bubbles, and singing to make him happy again. But the only thing that worked was finishing the haircut and getting him out of the chair. The prize helped, too. Looking back, I see my idea of letting a total stranger come at my son's head with a sharp object to do something Henry has never seen in his life, was actually my worst idea, yet. Live and learn!



No comments: